Wednesday 9 March 2011

I've just devoured this book...

Instruments of Darkness: A Novel
When life seems to be all about the little one, it is a welcome relief when a book comes along to whisk you away from it all and send you off into your own world for a while.  (So this is why I've not been blogging! In fact it's taken me longer to write this than to read the book!)  I love it when you can't put a book down and this one was certainly one of those.  A real page turner.  Jam even made me a holder out of a clingfilm box so that I could carry on nursing the bairn whilst reading and not hurt my wrists any more than they already do!

It's a historic novel, intrigue and murder, with two fabulous main characters that are a treat to follow, as they try to unravel the thickening plot.  It's set during the Gordon riots in Georgian England and gallops between London and a country Estate. I could not put it down.  It went everywhere with me and now I am lost, empty, bored whilst breastfeeding or driving - err, I didn't read whilst driving, but if we went anywhere Jam would drive and I would read... how dull for him, but he didn't seem to mind.

This is Imogen Robertson's debut novel, she's a bloody good writer and I'm not just saying that because I know her!  We played together in the Sinfonia Tamesa orchestra and she asked me to do some acting for the CBeebies TV show Numberjacks she directed, which made me famous amongst my friends and family.  Whenever they were watching it with their children and saw me I would get a phone call, 'We've just seen you on telly!! Oh wow! You're famous!', which would always make me smile, still does and it was years ago we filmed it.  Imogen won a competition to write the first 1000 words of a novel and has now embarked on a full-time writing career.  I think she's utterly brilliant, a wonderful writer, so eloquent and inspiring and I can't wait to read the next one!

1 comment:

  1. How exciting! And how exciting that you found the time to read, I think it took me a year...

    ReplyDelete