Saturday 4 December 2010

Saturday's Snack

Jam made some porridge for our breakfast yesterday, he made enough for 6 hungry people and piled it high into two large bowls.  I ate as much as I wanted, then said ~ well there's only one thing for it - Muffins!

I looked in the larder and thought hmmm.  After consulting my favourite 'Muffins Galore' cookbook, I found a lovely looking recipe for oat and cherry muffins, then followed it very loosely, for we didn't have half the ingredients and I never really enjoy following recipes much anyway.  Why is that?  It's so much fun wondering if it will turn out edible or not I guess! Maybe I should do an experiment one day... so...

In a bowl I put half a bag of bread mix (that was the only wholemeal flour or near to that I had), some brown sugar, gave it a stir.  Then added sunflower oil, about 6 dessert spoons to two eggs and beat.  I combined the egg mix with the oats, the oats had milk, apple and dates already added.  This I then mixed into the dry ingredients.  I spooned it all into a 12 cake tray and baked in the oven for about twenty minutes, probably a little too long.  Obviously I put the oven on first to warm up and greased the baking tray.  I mixed some icing sugar with a little water and some hundreds and thousands and spooned a little on top of each muffin.

Yummy!

Jam thinks they look like meatballs and are too burnt in the photograph, but was amazed and thinks they were very tasty ~ the best use of leftover porridge!
I even surprised myself.

1 comment:

  1. Oooooh..they look yummy! I never follow recipes either...maybe it's a family thing? It can't have come from Mum though as she never cooked did she?! haha! x x

    ReplyDelete